Tuesday, April 2, 2019
This situation would be influenced by legitimate power. Legitimate power is associated with having status or formal job authority (Northouse, 2016, p. 10). This power is derived from the position the person holds in the organization’s hierarchy. Another hallmark of legitimate power is that employees recognize the authority of the individual. Since you are the VP of Marketing and the Director of Customer Service reports to you, it is part of your job to break the bad news to him.
As part of the termination process, managers must also remember to share the news with the terminated employee’s co-workers. This can be a bit of a balancing act between not saying enough and saying too much. The most important point when sharing this news is to keep it brief with only ‘need to know’ details (Travis, n.d.). The longer and more emotionally involved a manager’s explanation becomes, the more the possibility exists that the employees will become confused, mixed messages will be conveyed, or an unwanted defamation lawsuit could result. It is also important to discuss the transition plan that will be implemented after the termination.
Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and Practice (7th ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
Travis, E. (n.d.). What to Tell the Co-Workers When You Terminate an Employee. Retrieved from http://smallbusiness.chron.com/tell-coworkers-terminate-employee-16627.html
- Motorola is a reputed smartphone brand
- IT strategies enhance the value of the firm
- system development cycle
- Important points about the alignment of IT with th...
- Boise Cascade Corporation Alternative Systems Deve...
- Poor communication hurts strategy
- Role of IT in supply chain operation of IKEA
- Hotel Contract Signature Page
- Perspectives on Accenture and Intel
- IT and Business Goals
- Hotel Contract Claims And Disputes and Arbitration...
- Importance of Training in Strategy
- IT Business Objectives
- Systems Development and Project Management
- Information Systems Development
- Hotel Contract Obligations of the Hotel
- Strategy planning
- Rapid technological developments
- System Development
- Hotel Contract Indemnification and Insurance
- Information Systems Strategy
- Sustaining Business IT alignment
- Development of the IT strategic plan
- IT Strategy is Critical to Success
- Leadership Strategic Decision-Making
- The importance of aligning IT strategies with busi...
- Hotel Contract Rights of Termination for Cause
- Business IT Allignment
- Information strategy is critical
- IT Alignment with Business Strategy
- Creating Business Value with IT
- Utilizing IT Strategy
- Hotel Contract Changes and Cancellation
- Success of Strategy depends on implementation succ...
- Aligning Information Technology with Business Stra...
- IT Strategy
- Aligning the business and IT goals
- Hotel Contract Billing Arrangements
- Hotel Contract Reservation Procedures
- Hotel Contract for Food and Beverage
- One Day in Shanghai
- Hotel Contract for Room Block Attrition
- Restaurant Sommelier Memo Notice of New Grape Vari...
- Hotel Contract for Commission, Complimentary Rooms...
- What to know about machine learning and customer s...
- Hotel Contract for Group Room Rates
- Leading a Big Team Is Different from Leading a Sma...
- Does IT Matter Research Kit
- Mount Forest Vineyards Business Memo
- Contemporary Job Search Tips for 2019
- Information Power in Customer Service
- Using Expert Power in Human Resources
- Wine Training memo
- Terminating a family member
- The External Marketing Environment in the Global M...
- Termination Process
- Hotel Contract Policies
- Work Values
- ▼ April (58)
- ► 2018 (43)
- ► 2017 (91)
- ► 2016 (177)
Business Case: Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Operations Management Report Table of Content...