Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2019

How Good Are Your Decision-Making Skills?


Today, I completed the survey “How Good Are Your Decision-Making Skills?” While working through the survey, I did not feel like the scenarios were too predictable. When completing some surveys, individuals are susceptible to response bias, which means they select answers that make them look better or feel better about themselves. I did not feel any pressure to select the correct answers when completing this specific survey. The given scenarios were not controversial and did not ask respondents to choose the most morally correct answers. More to the point, I found that this survey was an accurate depiction of my decision-making skills and tendencies.
First, according to the general score interpretation, I fell into the “medium” or “okay” total decision-making process score. This means that I understand the basics of decision-making, but I am not an expert. The survey goes on to state that I earned 11 out of 20 stars for establishing a positive decision-making environment. A positive decision-making environment is one which creates a focus on the decision at hand and gathers the right group for making the decision. I think my lack of leadership experience plays a role here. I have not had much experience in leading work-groups, and for that reason, I have a hard time being the disciplinarian and keeping the group on-task.
Another sub-par score for me was generating potential solutions, a category where I scored 9 out of 15 stars. I find this to be somewhat inaccurate. I believe in my decision-making I successfully generate potential solutions (almost too many decisions). Perhaps my inability to narrow down potential solutions is part of the reason for a score deficit in this category. Further, I scored around 50% for the categories: deciding and checking the decision. Often, I find myself bogged down with too many options for a decision, making it nearly impossible to close in on a specific, correct, decision. I examine all the options until all are viable and each have their own pros and cons.
Two categories that were strong for me were evaluating alternatives and communicating and interpreting. I also find these results to be accurate. Communication is one of my strengths as an employee and as a leader. I think I do an exceptional job of keeping all stakeholders up-to-date with the information they want and need. It does not surprise me that the same is true within my decision-making. In regard to communication within decision-making, I think I excel at ensuring that all parties are filled in and understand my decision. I am an open-book. As for evaluating alternatives, this is one of my strengths, but also a weakness, as aforementioned.
As I was reading some of the materials for this week, one tip struck me specifically. Tai Lopez (as cited in Suslow, 2017), states “sometimes good enough is perfect”. Often in my decision, I try to find the perfect solution, which often isn’t time-efficient or even possible. Similarly, Jeff Bezos (as cited in Mejia, 2018) urges decision-makers to categorize decisions into reversible and irreversible decisions. When making irreversible decisions, individuals should take more time and weigh out all the alternatives. When making reversable decisions, it’s preferred that individuals make decisions with about 70% of the information they desire. I think I typically shoot for knowing 100% of the information, which slows my decision-making down significantly.
A third option that matches or improves my decision-making style is clear goal setting (Arsham, 2017). In my athletic career, I always had built-in goals. However, I often neglect goal-setting in my professional life. My goal is to do a good job. This is obviously not a clear or workable goal, though it is very achievable. Clear, workable goals are important, I know, but I struggle to set these goals for myself. Goals could help me make faster decisions in the workplace.
At this stage of my career, I feel that authentic leadership is my most effective leadership style. Authentic leadership requires clear and effective communication. Utilizing this style means the leader is self-aware and understands the nature of their relationship with their followers. Communication is one of the strong-points of my decision-making and can be used in authentic leadership too. Rather than inspiring, making critical decisions, or having great vision, authentic leaders are more focused on working with people. I think authentic leadership suits my personality and my decision-making. I do not try to overstate decisions to my colleagues, I prefer to be straightforward with them (Northouse, 2015).
Overall, through this journal, I’ve strengthened my understanding of my own indecisiveness. Rather than succumb to the temptation of utilizing group-decision making (and avoiding making the decision on my own), I’ve reflected on some ways that I can improve my own strategies. This course will continue to help me understand my avoidance of decisions and how to decrease that avoidance.
 
References
Arsham, H. (2017). Leadership Decision Making. Retrieved from: http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbarsh/Business-stat/opre/partXIII.htm
Suslow, P. (2017). 11 Genius Tips to Be More Decisive. Retrieved from: http://www.success.com/article/11-genius-tips-to-be-more-decisive
Mejia, Z. (2018). Amazon’s Jeff Bezos: This simple framework can help you answer the most difficult questions you face. Retrieved from: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/19/jeff-bezos-simple-strategy-for-answering-amazons-hardest-questions--.html
Northouse, P. G. (2015). (7th ed.)  Leadership: Theory and Practice. Thousand Oaks: 
CA: Sage Publications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Blog Archive

Featured Post

Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Business Case Study

Business Case:   Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare    Operations Management Report   Table of Content...

Translate