Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Decision Making for Leadership Development


“Your decision-making process is OK. You have a good understanding of the basics, but now you need to improve your process and be more proactive. Concentrate on finding lots of options and discovering as many risks and consequences as you can. The better your analysis, the better your decision will be in the long term. Focus specifically on the areas where you lost points, and develop a system that will work for you across a wide variety of situations. (Read below to start)” (mindtools.com). I agreed with the result because I do understand the basic of decision-making but not the depth of decision-making since I tend to react with my decision-making after it happen. I think because I tend to feel stressed or anxiety while I had to think with many decisions in one time.
Anxiety can interrupt my decision-making by influencing my behavior and thoughts to make a choice to decide. There are great tips to prevent anxiety such as strengthen your brain against anxiety, understand where the anxiety is really coming from, slow it down, don’t buy into the idea that thoughts, feelings and behavior are a package which they are not, act as if, just because there are choices, which doesn’t mean there is a wrong one, and be guided by what you want, rather than by what you want to avoid. I think I am not used with decision-making that often lately but I know we do make many decisions by waking up to decide to wake up or continuous to sleep more.
I had many situations with my neighbors for almost three years and I had to think many decision-making with my husband which I think more anxiety comes worse. Now I found this resource and I realized that I need to slow it down and act as it is. I thank for this course to open my mind about decision-making to help me develop my skills to be in the manager or leader position.
My strength with score interpretation is evaluating alternatives with score eleven out of fifteen, deciding with score ten out of fifteen, and checking the decision. My scores are pretty close with actual scores which I know that I am good at deciding because I always think every day to decision on how my schedule flows for my homework, job, housewife, and day off. Evaluating alternatives is something that I am surprise because sometimes I think my decisions is far from great. I know that my decisions will be not a hundred percent right but sometimes it helps with my result that I did to made myself feel good.
I realize that I need to learn more because my weakness with score interpretation such as establishing a positive decision-making environment, generating potential solutions, and communicating and implementing. One problem is that I am deaf and I think it is tough for my team and I can communicate to have a decision-making but we do communicate through paper and pen or texting. I know that is a bad excuse that I am deaf but it’s true since it’s frustrated for me to communicate with my team or customers because they don’t have the awareness and knowledge of my deaf culture. I found the resource with good tips if they read and understand then I can improve with my decision-making skills in the group or meeting with my team. “Among the more popular tips in the book are: to pay a lot more attention to other people's body language. Learning to listen with your eyes, like deaf people, can help you improve your memory, he said. To speak one at a time and without interrupting others, and resolve any conflicts one at a time. Be both simple and precise in how you convey information. This is something that hearing people have a hard time doing, said Dr. Kahne. When hearing people try to be simple, they are automatically vague. When they try to be precise, they suddenly become complex. Dare to ask questions. Hearing people tend to stop asking questions around the age of five, believing that asking questions shows inferiority, weakness or incompetence. Not so with deaf people. Use visual words and stories to help convey specific messages or answer questions” (Cradden, 2014, www.independent.ie).
 I decided to choose laissez-faire leadership style because other leadership styles are involved with communication, charisma, authentic, and motivate team members. I feel that I have limitation with communication, integrity, creative, and will give a lot of freedom. If I work with deaf people or people who know American sign language then it will be a different story. Laissez-faire: leaders give their team members a lot of freedom in how they do their work, and how they set their deadlines. They provide support   with resources and advice if needed, but otherwise they don't get involved. This autonomy can lead to high job satisfaction, but it can be damaging if team members don't manage their time well, or if they don't have the knowledge, skills, or self motivation to do their work effectively. (Laissez-faire leadership can also occur when managers don't have control over their work and their people.) I want to improve my leadership style since I dislike the part about giving a lot of freedom because I require the communicate with my team about the details for deadline or making sure that we are on same page, etc.
Reference:
Cradden, J. (2014). How deaf people can teach us about effective communication. Retrieved from https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/how-deaf-people-can-teach-us-about-effective-communication-30025066.html
Young, K. (2018). How anxiety interferes with decision-making and how to stop it intruding. Retrieved from https://www.heysigmund.com/anxiety-interferes-decision-making-stop-intruding/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Blog Archive

Featured Post

Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Business Case Study

Business Case:   Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare    Operations Management Report   Table of Content...

Translate