Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2019

Legitimate power to exert control


Those with legitimate power do not always assume the greatest control over their organization and its members. Legitimate power is given to those in the highest positions. When in these positions, it is sometimes more difficult to obtain control, especially when considering the member aspect. My personal goals do not incorporate the highest position within an organization because I like to be more involved with my followers. I like to associate regularly with them and to involve each one as much as I can in the decision-making process. If I acquired a position with legitimate power I think I would work hard to incorporate my members as much as possible. 

I will do so by ensuring my priorities are straight and that my members are one of the most important aspects of the position. As a leader without legitimate power it can be more difficult to gain immediate respect from those around you. Personally, I will use social skills I have built through various opportunities to build relationships with members. I would involve them in decision-making processes to ensure I do not attempt to dictate. I content this is crucial when a leader does not have legitimate power as followers will lose respect easily if they are treated unimportant. Leaders should make their followers constantly feel valued as an irreplaceable aspect of the organization. This is what I believe will lead to a more successful organization. 

Rodriquez (2017) emphasizes that leadership styles may have an impact on decision-making processes. I agree with this information as all leaders are unique. This makes leadership difficult at times using a more trial and error process. What works for one person as a leader may not work for you. A leader must acquire the information but then apply it to themselves and the situations in which they are involved. Lastly, a leader needs some form of power to have an influence on others. One must understand the various elements of power. Although there are varying levels of power, they all acquire a certain level of responsibility, especially when it comes to decision making. One must understand this to become an effective leader with the power they have acquired (Bacon, 2011).
 References:
Bacon, T. R. (2011). The Elements of Power : Lessons on Leadership and Influence. New York: AMACOM.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Blog Archive

Featured Post

Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Business Case Study

Business Case:   Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare    Operations Management Report   Table of Content...

Translate