Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Areas to improve

The majority of my scores were above the Fligby Benchmark except for: Delegating, Time Management and Prioritizing.
Areas to improve:
  1. Delegating - trusting someone to complete a task in your place. This is one of my biggest struggles is learning to let go and allowing others to help. I often want to do everything because I know what to expect from myself; the work will be done and I will go beyond the expectations. The times in the past when I have delegated it has led to more work for myself because I had messes to clean up and did not budget the time. Challenge: delegating anything.
Plan: Prioritize tasks by importance. Keep all highly important tasks for myself but allow the bottom category tasks to be delegated. This allows baby steps into allowing others to do more once they have proven themselves. Goal and Measure: Delegate 3-5 tasks per week for 3 months and reevaluate.
  1. Time Management  the ability to control your time spent on activities that increase productivity. I was surprised that this was a weakness, as I always have so many things to do at work and have to focus my time on what is most effective. Time management is shifting from being an organization skill to an individual skill, making this increasingly vital (Aeon & Aguinis, 2017).  My challenges include putting time limits on particular tasks and keeping tasks organized.  
Plan: Create daily task list, listing everything that needs completed for the day. Goal and Measure: Complete 75% of tasks daily.
  1. Prioritizing – designating tasks that are more important than others. An important part of any job is to be able to understand what needs completed first to meet deadlines while helping with the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the company. Challenge: ensuring the most important tasks are taken care of first. Sometimes I do not feel like doing particular tasks and so I put it off until I have to. This could prove problematic at some point.
Plan: When completing daily tasks list, list in order or number by most important this allows those tasks to be completed first. Goal: Complete top five goals per day. This plan was completed in a 2017 and the results were, “a marked increase in time spent on high-priority tasks” (Aeon & Aguinis, 2017, p.315).
AEON, B., & AGUINIS, H. (2017). It’s about Time: New Perspectives and Insights on Time Management. Academy of Management Perspectives31(4), 309–330. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2016.0166

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Top Picks for Our Readers:
Recommended by Recommended by NetLine

Blog Archive

Featured Post

Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Business Case Study

Business Case:   Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare    Operations Management Report   Table of Content...

Translate